Saturday, December 3, 2011

Prison Pen Pals

I always like to keep in mind those less fortunate than myself during this time of the year. You can believe that I feel badly for the homeless, but also others who are in their own way, homeless. And that would be prisoners. Lord knows I work with so many unfortunates in the institution where I work, but many of them don't know where they even are, or who they are, much less what time of year it may be. So it always seemed to me that it fell hardest on those incarcerated with their wits. A couple of years ago I decided to do something to try to ease the burden and made contact with some prison pen pals. Here are a few examples,

G:

What I wrote: "G,... It must be incredibly tiresome and lonely to be incarcerated, and the date your profile gave for time of release seems to be just under a decade away ... I just really cannot see how a person copes with their loss of freedom. Maybe that is what prompted me to try to contact an inmate, my own personal dread of such a situation"





C:



The reply I got back, from C: "Hello and how are you? I know you are thinking who is this? Let me explain ... I am a very close friend of G's, G has decided to reunite with her ex-husband. ... Off and on for years I also was on anti-depressants..."




So, you can see that sometimes things do not go as planned, I had to seriously reconsider sending my own photo in the initial letter I sent. The price pf honesty, maybe...but it is the thought that counts most! Have a good one.

No comments: